Saturday, September 10, 2016

I Remember When I Didn't Hurt

Was it just last year when I smugly showed disdain for old people who woke up hurting because I didn't?  Well, I don't do that any more.  I go to bed hurting.  I wake up hurting.  I spend my day hurting...all because of this damn arm I hurt in February by lifting a futon at the trailer.  This does not make me happy!

It's not only old people who can take on a lifetime hurt in a moment, though.  Accidents happen so quickly and from out of the blue you can find yourself with an injury that will keep on haunting you forever.  It happened to Kim when she had the car accident that badly injured her foot.  Cindy hurt her knee skiing many moons ago and the damage will never go away. None of us are invincible.

I've stubbornly kept from taking pain medication for my injury all summer but I did take Tylenol for the first few months...otherwise I couldn't have survived the pain.  Last night I smeared Aspercreme all over my bicep and it slightly numbed it so that I got the best sleep I've had in a long time.  My hope is that I can get a cortizone shot before I leave for Florida and that it clears up the pain permanently.  I have very high hopes!

It's funny how I've apparently lived a life where I escaped major body damage from my foibles but end up causing serious damage just by lifting something.  I was lucky enough to heal well from the broken wrist and don't seem to have any arthritis from it so I foolishly felt I'd always heal that well.  Not so, though.  

I guess that it's only a matter of time before all of us hurt and I don't like it one bit!

No comments: