Tuesday, January 31, 2017

It's A Mess

I half way understand why it happened but not in the way it happened.  Thousands upon thousands of immigrants, refugees, and visitors from primarily Muslim countries arrive in the United States every day and for Trump to have put an immediate block on most of them was bound to cause utter chaos.  Where were his advisers and did he listen to any of them?

I can't even imagine how some of those families felt after escaping their war torn countries to make the long flight to the U.S. where they thought they'd find freedom and a better life, only to find out they were banned from entering.  Exhausted and unable to speak the language, terrified of being imprisoned, and not understanding what had happened...and then clustered for hours only to be sent back to the place they thought they'd escaped.  Horrendous!

I don't agree with accepting mass amounts of refugees who have not been documented or inspected fully but all of these people who were refused entry didn't fit that description.  The utter confusion of the border guards who had not been properly informed caused untold heartache to innocent victims of the ban and that blame falls solely on Trump.

He's a wealthy businessman used to having his orders obeyed without question but he's now the president of the United States and his decisions as such will have massive repercussions globally.  

My Shelley stayed off Facebook during the election because it hurt her too much to see how many of her friends supported Trump.  I was also dismayed at how many of my friends did the same but I'm Canadian and American politics doesn't affect me as much.  What bothers me now is that I'm seeing videos of those poor and desperate people who were banned from entering the States and also seeing how many people are still supporting the ban.  I could cry.

Where is the kindness and where are the warm and welcoming hearts?  The Christian faith teaches us to love one another, doesn't it?  What exactly is happening here?    

No comments: