Sunday, January 29, 2017

Taken Care Of

Cindy and Don are on the hunt for an affordable house with an in-law suite.  Her aim is to have a place for me to live comfortably with them and, when I pass on, to have a rental unit for income.  This is a smart thing to do in this day and age of very expensive housing.

We went out yesterday to look at a promising property which had a separate building to use as an in-law suite.  There's already an offer on the house so we weren't able to look inside but it is very nice.  The separate building is big and, from what we could see through the windows, very easy to convert into a lovely in-law suite.  Cindy knows I'm agreeable to moving if I love the new place but it can't be a basement in-law suite unless there's a walk out to the backyard.  

The property is in a small town nearby and it's very pretty there.  We had lunch at a lovely restaurant and gift shop just up the road...home made soup and home made bread for the sandwich.  I love restaurants like that!

Cindy seems adamant that she'll be the one to care for me when the time comes but I'm very much against that.  I know that nursing homes are horribly expensive but there is an alternative and that's to have some homecare provided when necessary.  I've always felt that it's too hard on families to have to look after their frail and sickly parents, especially if the parent has dementia.  I'm not any of these things right now but age can be a bitch.

I'm so happy to know that my girls have children they can count on to care for them when the time comes and I know my girls will look after my needs, too.  That is a comfort to know but I won't be moving in with them if I can help it.  My plan is to live on my own right up to the end.  And now I'll put that thought behind me and keep on having fun!

No comments: