Saturday, February 04, 2017

People I Admire

I don't have a great deal of admiration for the so-called "stars" in society.  They usually appear quite shallow and unreal to me...maybe I'm prejudiced but that's how I feel.  Sometimes the people I do admire turn out to be not what they appeared...like Bill Cosby, O.J. Simpson, etc.  How disappointing to find out that the people you thought were worthy of your admiration weren't who you thought they were.  It happens often.

I told a friend recently that the people I like are kind, honest, and funny.  They don't really have to be funny but, if they are, they're more fun to be around.  I've found over the years that the more I'm around nice people the more I want to be a better person myself.  Good people inspire me.  Nasty people depress me and that's a good reason to stay away from them.

When I think about it, most of the people I admire are just everyday people who do the best they can to get through life.  It doesn't seem to matter how difficult or tragic their lives have been, they carry on with a good spirited attitude.  We can learn a lot from people like that.

When we're young we usually aren't wise enough to choose the right idols but, as we age we come to understand that the greatest attributes are sometimes hidden in the most average person.  They might take you by surprise until you learn to look for those attributes.  The kindest, sweetest soul in the world might be the most unassuming person you know.  Those are the ones I admire.  

No comments: