Monday, March 27, 2017

I'm The Matriarch

Last night, with family, it was pointed out that I'm the matriarch of the family.  This was something I'd never thought of before and it's sort of a mixed blessing.  You have to be the oldest female in the family to carry this distinction.

I hadn't realized that I'd become the matriarch when it first happened after my mother died in 1982 and, as Nick so tactfully said, I won't be aware of it when it's over.  I've been the matriarch for 35 years (unless Ferne counts)!

I've read books and seen movies where the matriarch of the family is treated like a demi-god.  That simply isn't my style.  Of course, those particular matriarchs are usually very rich and control the family fortune.  Not my style, either.  We have no family fortune.

I kind of like being a matriarch, though.  To me it means I've lived a long life and have progeny, very good progeny, to leave behind when I'm gone.  


No comments: