Friday, April 07, 2017

Another Sleepless Night

When I had depression, most of my nights were sleepless and I usually fell asleep around 6 A.M. so you can imagine what a mess that made of my day.  I worked part time, had a family to take care of, and a home to run and that takes a degree of stamina and alertness.  Those depression days are long gone, thank heavens, but I still have the odd sleepless night.  It's not so bad when I know there's nothing to prevent me having a nice long nap later on, though.

In the depression days, my mind refused to shut off at bedtime and I spent almost every night reliving every single moment of my past.  Now it only happens once in a while but my mind is at peace even though it won't shut down.  Weird!  I lay there wide awake all night planning my summer planting or the simple chores I have to complete the next day so it's nothing worrisome.  The brain is a strange thing!

When I know I'll need to be wide awake and alert the next day (such as when I would be driving to or from Florida), I take an Advil PM which knocks me out sufficiently but doesn't make me fuzzy headed in the morning.  Otherwise, I endure the sleepless night and look forward to a long afternoon nap.  No big deal.

I'm a thinker, a worrier, a far ahead planner, and also have a curious mind.  Any one of those things will pretty well determine how well I'll sleep on any given night.  I had a whole list of things I wanted to get done today but it doesn't look promising that many or any of them will be done.  No big deal...there's always tomorrow!     

No comments: