Thursday, May 04, 2017

Surprised

Daughters are often too critical of their mothers but seem to think their fathers walk on water.  It's just a fact of life and I don't let it bother me.  I have an eclectic taste in home decorating and a kind of gypsy taste in clothing and I know my daughters roll their eyes a lot when they see it.  I don't care.

I am very surprised that Kim commented that she likes my salt lamp after saying she liked my peacock wall hanging.  I expected eye rolling but she genuinely seemed to like the stuff.  Not that I care one way or the other but it did surprise me.

In my elder years I've grown to the point where I don't need validation from anyone for my likes and dislikes.  That ridiculous need for validation bogged me down in my younger years and it's taken a long time to be my own person.  It must have something to do with self confidence because I was an arrogant, self conscious young person.  How can that be?  Well, it's explained by how confused we are when we're young.  I don't know many confused elders unless they're in the midst of dementia.  We know what we'll put up with and what we won't.  We know that, in the long run, it doesn't really matter whether we display a tin peacock or a Dali in our homes as long as we enjoy looking at it.  As far as arrogance...we've seen too much and learned too much for most of us to be arrogant.

About the salt lamp...I've spent each day since I got it being completely mesmerized by it.  It was money well spent!


No comments: