Tuesday, June 06, 2017

CLL Under Control

Well, after having oddball blood reports last October which caused a whole winter and spring to be disrupted with many more tests of every kind, I now know I'm just fine and only something not too serious will kill me.

I had a battery of tests from October to June only to find out that I'm just as healthy as I was last year.  I appreciate that my doctor responded quickly to the first aberrant bloodwork in October and that OHIP paid for all those tests but I'm more than happy to know it was all for nothing.  Better safe than sorry, I guess.

My CLL (a bit too many white blood cells) is still miles away from needing treatment even if it ever does.  The hematologist is a real sweetheart who told me there's no need for me to see him and that I can carry on having my regular bloodwork managed by my family doctor.  If and when the CLL does become troublesome, I can go back to him.

He did tell me something very interesting, though.  He had told me before that treatment isn't considered until your WBC reaches 80 (mine is 22) but he's had patients with a WBC of 300 who were not experiencing any problems so therefore not needing treatment.  I like being well informed and he's always been good about that.

It was a terribly long wait at the hospital yesterday for some reason...my appointment was for 3 P.M. and I didn't get out of there until 6 P.M.  I made a few friends in the waiting room, though, and we laughed a lot at our situation.  Laughter will get you through the worst of times!

Today I get back to my normal life...Swedish weaving afternoon with Faye and Donna.  I'm working on a Christmas table runner and they're both still finishing off afghans they started along, long time ago.  It doesn't matter.  We'll weave, chat and laugh, have tea and eat some kind of yummy that Faye made.

Life is good!

No comments: