Monday, June 26, 2017

Our Flag

I've begun to notice that it's the younger generation that finds no problem in desecrating the flag of their country.  I saw a video a while back of university students in the States stomping on the American flag and a veteran stepping forward to stop them.  The students claimed it was their right to do as they pleased but they had forgotten it was the veteran and his comrades who fought for their rights.  Now we have a controversy in Canada about the gay pride people changing the look of our flag by adding their rainbow colors to it.  The younger generation see no problem (including our prime minister) but the older generation, especially veterans who fought under that flag see a decline in respect for it.

My relative's response to people who opposed the gay pride alteration of our flag was to, "get over yourself".  What she doesn't seem to grasp is that the people who oppose altering our flag are not opposing for their own purpose but for the country as a whole.  It's important to respect the flag that soldiers laid down their lives for in order to give us the freedoms we have today...the freedoms my relative and her generation enjoy, too.

I do a lot of research on the internet and found out that there is no law in Canada against desecrating our flag but there is one in the States.  We need one, too, because the young ones should understand that their flag stands for something and is sacrosanct!

I was very unhappy to see photos of our prime minister in last year's Pride parade waving an altered flag but I noticed in this year's photos that he's waving a proper Pride flag.  That flag is actually beautiful and I don't know why they don't just keep it the way it is.  

Anyway, that's my rant for today but I'm sure there are more to come.




No comments: