Sunday, June 25, 2017

What's the Difference?

I watched the sweetest video on Facebook this morning about how children view the differences between them and others.  As two little girls or two little boys stood side by side and were asked how they were different from one another, the children struggled to come up with ideas.  Some differences were obvious...different ethnicity, one little girl in a wheelchair...but the children were blind to these differences.  It was one of the purest moments to witness.

It got me thinking about my friends and how they are different in many ways than me but, when I'm with them and enjoying their company I don't see any of that.  What I see in a sense is their good soul.  Do I judge them before we become friends?  Probably I'm wary because of the unknown but, once we're friends, I glory in our differences and how they matter not one bit when the person is a good soul.

It's interesting to note that some friends become unfriended and that's when you begin to notice the differences that do matter.  Sometimes they come as a surprise because they had been kept well hidden before they snuck out and you wonder why you hadn't noticed them before.

But, like innocent children, we love our friends for the good in them.  And often we love them for the differences that make them unique and interesting.

No comments: