Monday, September 11, 2017

My Trailer Survived

Hurricanes cause damage and that's a fact.  There is no human way to prevent them from coming or directing their path.  They do as they please.  As in most disasters, the good in most people rise quickly to the top to take care of their fellow man/woman.  It's a beautiful thing to see amidst the worry and destruction that the good people will always be in the majority with only a few bad people taking advantage of the bad situation to loot.  We shouldn't give them a thought because there will be so few of them.  Just toss them in jail and forget about them!

I worried terribly about the people who stayed in my park despite the storm.  We only have trailers there, some sturdier than others, but trailers are a dangerous place to be in a hurricane.  Thankfully, no-one was hurt.  

One of the hardy even drove through the park this morning taking video of every trailer and posting their videos on Facebook.  What a thoughtful thing to do!  Most of the trailers look perfect but there was a bit of damage to some.  I hope the park staff covers up any broken windows because rain inside the trailers will cause mold very quickly.

My trailer looked just fine with no roofing or siding pulled off as far as I could tell.  I have a bug man who sprays regularly so I'll call him to make a special trip to check inside for leaks.  I've tried calling him already but no calls are getting through.  I'm assuming that even cell phone towers are down.

It warms the heart to see how the people who stayed in the park during the storm have made it a point to check on their neighbors and their neighbor's trailers.  Our park is like a little village with so many good people who take care of each other.  When Dennis passed away he wanted me to sell the trailer because he didn't think I could manage there on my own.  He'd forgotten how the people there go out of their way to help anyone in need.  I never hesitated in going back there by myself.

I wonder how much press coverage will be given to all the truly wonderful people who helped out during the storm?  We've already seen on the news how a scant few chose to take advantage of the storm and loot homes and businesses.  There will always be scum like that.  But there will also always be the vast majority of people who choose to help wherever they're needed.

Watching the path of Hurricane Irma means we also saw a goodly supply of heroes, too.  Funny, but there were no armies of protesters showing up to help their fellow man/woman.  The protesters need good weather, I guess.

No comments: