Sunday, October 29, 2017

It's Important

I found out on Friday that a very old friend had passed away.  He's my age so it didn't come as a great surprise, just a sad one that another of my generation is gone.

His memorial was yesterday and Kim and I were already committed to doing our once a year craft show so I thought it wasn't important to go to the memorial service anyway.  I hadn't seen him or his wife in quite a few years and just thought my attendance wasn't necessary or important.  My Cindy nagged me unmercifully, saying it was important that I go, especially for Anne's sake.  I was very tired and desperately needed a nap after the show but Cindy and then Kim finally persuaded me to go.  I'm so glad I did.

I'm very far from an egotist and most often think I don't much matter in the scheme of things so I was amazed with my reception at the funeral home.  I hadn't seen Anne in many years but, when she saw me, she looked so shocked and happy to see me.  She hugged and kissed me and was obviously very happy I was there.  I was taken aback and felt ashamed I almost hadn't gone at all if it wasn't for Cindy.

There were continuous photos of Bill on the screen, so many with Dennis and others we'd known through the years.  We'd been to many fun parties at their house!  Anne and I exchanged phone numbers and e-mail addresses and I'll definitely contact her when I get back from Florida.  We were once very good friends and I never knew why our friendship faded away like it did.

It just goes to show, some things in life do matter even if you think they don't.  

No comments: