Sunday, October 15, 2017

Weinstein

I reposted an article on Weinstein and, of course, wrote in my humble opinions.  The responses I received were all from people I don't know, mainly women who understood completely that predators like Weinstein surround us.  Every woman on this planet has experienced the frightening and insulting actions of males who are, at best, bullies or, at worst, perverts.

Along with the female comments came a few from males, mostly understanding and polite.  A few were not...they obviously were part of the problem.  I deleted their comments because I didn't want the post to be corrupted by people like them but I also deleted comments from women who wanted to blast these ignorant men.  My reasoning is that we need to rise above the likes of Weinstein and take a higher, stronger road.

My experience with predators started when I was 4 years old and molested by my stepfather.  From then on my life was riddled with having to be wary of and keep my distance from so many men I encountered that the numbers are outrageous.  This is not uncommon for females and the problem has been ignored for too long.  I never once blamed myself for what happened when I was a 4 year old baby and never once blamed myself for dressing too provocatively (I didn't) or walking down the street after dark.  The blame went straight to the males who thought they had a right to accost me.

Funny in a way but sexual harassment usually does stop when women are old but our skills of awareness never fade.  We worry for the young women because we know it's happening to them.  So, Harvey Weinstein is facing the consequences of his hideous actions but we know that might only stop him for a short while.  He'll be a danger to females until the day he dies.  But there are many more predators out there than we dare to admit.

No comments: