Wednesday, December 06, 2017

The Bed Frame

I don't know why my bed frame keeps coming apart because there is no wild activity on my bed...I don't even change position much when I'm sleeping.  But it is gradually coming apart again but this time it might be from the top end instead of the bottom end where Jan "securely" screwed the connection on tightly.  I don't know if it's actually impossible to secure that connection or if, this time, it's the connection at the top end.  I've asked Jan to come over and help me with it again.  My fear is that lifting the heavy weight of the box spring will give me a heart attack.  Honestly.  I'm a weakling, always have been.

One good thing is that I worried how I'd get a bed frame home in my car if I bought a new one but Jan already offered to use her SUV.  The problem is that I can't seem to find a store that has them in stock.  Home Depot, Target, and Walmart carry them but are out of stock.  That leaves me a few of the stores that specialize in selling beds, etc. but the price will be higher.  I'm at the point where I just don 't care so I'm going shopping today for a new bed frame that might have to be ordered but at least it's something to look forward to.

Update:  Jan came to my rescue again but this time she came with what I think might be called zip ties and duct tape.  We took both the mattress and boxspring off the frame and, sure enough, the connections on both top end and bottom end were loose and ready to come apart.  I was pretty discouraged but Jan has a mechanical mind and figured the bottom connection probably never actually came with the frame and would never hold it tightly enough...hence the zip ties and duct tape (the handywoman's friend).  She put on the zip ties and tightened them and, lo and behold, the frame tightened up as never before.  She then wrapped a lot of duct tape around the ties and I can't imagine it ever coming apart.  

It turned out that the top connection was loose also so Jan repeated there what she'd done on the bottom.  We put the boxspring and mattress back on and the bed felt sturdy for the first time.  If it comes apart again I'll throw it out!!

So, when I sell this trailer in a few years and the new owners see how the bed frame is held together, they might laugh but the also might think we were pretty smart.   Nah, they'll laugh.

  

No comments: