Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Dog Loyalty

I know dogs can't tell time but they do know that they've missed seeing their owners for too long and they begin to show signs of depression.  I noticed this once again when I was puppysitting at Shelley's last week.  

Tank, a huge yellow Lab, and Winnie, a tiny maltiepoo, love everyone and show that affection until told to go lay down.  Of course they love their owners more than visitors but Winnie was able to overcome Shelley's absence easier than Tank did.

Winnie cuddled with me constantly, either on my lap, pressed to my side, or over my head on the sofa cushion.  She was a happy little pup.  Tank lay at my feet (occasionally stepping on them with his 80 lb. weight which resulted in me yelping and him jumping away), or near me in whichever room I was in.  I noticed that he became more lethargic as the days progressed, though.  He just looked sadder and sadder and it was obvious he was depressed.

When Shelley returned 4 days later, both dogs greeted her at the door with love and enthusiasm but Tank just about turned himself inside out with joy.  We couldn't get him to calm down because he was overcome with happiness that his leader (one of them) was back in his life.  He might not have understood the passage of time but he sure knew it had been a very long time!  He has a blanket he didn't touch for all 4 days but grabbed it up and tried to push it on Shelley when she came home...his gift to her!

Winnie was much happier, too, but it's hard to tell with her because she's such a happy little dog all of the time.  I did notice she stopped clinging to me, though, and chased her mother around instead.

Dogs are part of our family.  They do love us and love to be part of our pack because that is their mentality.  It's also why we have to assert dominance over a new puppy in the house so they know who is their leader.  And for that we are basked in unrelenting and unconditional love.  How lucky we are!


No comments: