Thursday, March 22, 2018

Just Thinking

I got to thinking about what it means to criticize someone.  None of us are perfect in the eyes of another so it would be very easy to greet everyone by telling them their faults...in our eyes, of course.  Can you even imagine being able to keep even one friend or acquaintance if you chose to tell them their faults instead of what is good about them?  People would run from you in droves.

I began openly praising people a few years ago.  It sort of came up accidentally when I would see even a stranger in a pretty top or doing a kindness.  I swear it made my life nicer because the moment made both of us happier.  This is often the kind of world where we go about our business anonymously, no-one speaking or even acknowledging you as you pass by.  I sort of made it my business, right or wrong, to change that a bit and just began talking to strangers.  I don't take their time, just make a comment or two, and it's amazing the feedback you get from that.

It's easy to praise our loved ones but it used to be harder for me to speak out to strangers in case I was rebuffed.  Once I stopped caring about that, it got easier and almost always was followed by pleasant results.  I read somewhere that there are many people who go through their day without ever having another human being speak to them.  Well, they need to find me.

It's nice to be nice and the world will always be a better place when we are.

No comments: