Friday, May 11, 2018

Why Is It So Hard To Understand?

I feel like I'm batting my head against a brick wall trying to get my family to understand that ALL lives matter.  Does a black person's life matter more than mine because their ancestors were slaves?  Some of mine might have been, too, because Irish slaves were brought to Canada.

Is a refugee's life more important than mine because some of their countrymen destroyed their country?  Is a cop's life more valuable than mine because of his career choice?  Tyson called us "blissfully white" and that irked me no end.  Just as any other race, the white race had no choice in the shade of their skin.  What about the white people who were attacked because of their skin color??

I am so sick of white people denigrating whites out of some kind of guilt.  I never owned a slave for heaven's sake.  I've never used the "N" word because it's foul.  I've had my own struggles just as every other person on this earth has had and, if they were caused by ignorant people who held me back because of my sex or standing, then it's shame on them.  When anyone overcomes something like that it is empowering.  

Am I going to feel guilty because I was born white?  Why should I?  I don't feel guilty because I was born poor, either.  I'm much more than that...and so is EVERYONE else. 

No comments: