Thursday, July 05, 2018

Heat Wave

Kim called yesterday to make sure I was keeping cool and I was.  My window air conditioner works fine even if it is a bit noisy.  It worries me, though, that the life expectancy of a window air conditioner isn't all that long and mine is 5 years old.  It's bound to break down during a heat wave but, if it does, I have places to go.  Thank heavens for lots of nearby family!

It got me thinking abut how many people survive without any air conditioning at all during these heat waves.  I never had one until way after we bought the house in 1968 so I must have done okay during hot spells.  We seldom had 90+ F days back then, though...only maybe half a dozen throughout the whole summer.  We're having a lot more now.

It doesn't have to reach 90F to be unbearable.  Even 80F when you're living in a tiny 3rd floor apartment (as we did when Kim was born) is pretty awful with nothing to cool you but a fan that only moves the hot air around.

But I'm old now and comfort is my king.  I couldn't last very long today without air conditioning but at least I could stay with family until I could fix or replace my own air conditioner.  A bit of a worry is that stores have been known to run out of window air conditioners...Kim said no but I think they have in the past.

Anyway, lucky me is staying nice and cool right now and I'm hoping to stay that way. 

No comments: