Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Health Coverage

I kind of know what my government health insurance covers but we tend to ignore learning more about it until we need it.  Whether you live in Canada or the States, basic health coverage will not get you into a decent nursing home and that's a fact.  It's quite frightening to think of having to pay upwards of $5,000 per month to receive decent nursing home care and only those with excellent insurance or the proceeds of their house will be able to afford it even for a short time.  Most of us end up with only having the proceeds of our house or nothing at all.

I've just started collecting the money I made when I sold the house 5 years ago and hate to think of depleting the balance.  I honestly don't think I'll use it all in my lifetime but nursing home costs are rising fast.  It's a worry.

My Cindy has stated she won't put me in a nursing home when my time comes but that worries me even more.  I dread disrupting her life and will fight to the end to stay on my own.  In the back of my mind, I see myself living alone and needing just a little help maybe with cleaning and cooking.  I hope my vision is correct.

Whatever happens in my final years, I know my daughters will be there for me and I'm ever so grateful for that.  It's sad that many seniors are abandoned by their children who don't want the responsibility of caring for them when it's needed.

This is a subject that depresses me so I'm finished with it now.  On to happier thoughts!

No comments: