Saturday, August 11, 2018

Suicide

I listened with sadness to the voice recording of the man who stole a plane and deliberately crashed it, killing himself.  He sounded almost normal and it brought to mind how people, depressed and hurting terribly, are able to put on such a good face that one might not know how they really were feeling.  It happens all the time.

He acknowledged how he had people in his life who cared for him...this surprised me a little because I would have thought he would cling to that and save himself.  He apologized for what he was doing.  He made sure he crashed the plane where it would hurt no-one else and that told me he had a good soul.

I'm a suicide survivor and have a good understanding of what a person's emotional condition is when they reach the point of having no hope.  There is no logic, only severe emotional and physical pain.  But for him to still understand that he had people who cared about him makes it difficult for me to know why he'd still want to die.  Granted, there is much ugliness in our everyday lives but there is also the potential for all that is good and beautiful.  When does one forget that potential?  

My dark days happened half a lifetime ago and I've lived some of the most beautiful days since that time.  Suicide is not attempted when the mind is clear but when it's filled with only what is bad in their life.  And no life is ever 100% bad.

I wish someone could have helped him before he lost all hope.  


No comments: