Sunday, August 12, 2018

On Being Happy

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that the way to happiness and contentment is to appreciate what you have in your life that is good.  No-one has a perfect life and some have perfectly miserable lives but as long as there is hope for better times there can be happiness.

I was brought up poor but never really felt that way because I lived in a clean home with decent meals.  I never felt that I'd be poor when I grew up but I never desired to be rich, either, just comfortable.  Here I am now living up to my expectations.  LOL!

Some people enjoy drama in their lives and that's something I dislike intensely.  Some people enjoy being alone and I do, too, but not all the time.  I enjoy being with good people and even yakking away to strangers.  I honestly think we have to reach old age before we can really be ourselves.  We stop worrying about impressing others because we want to enjoy the limited number of days we have left.  Life really is short.  You might not think that when you're young but it is sure pounded home to you once you reach middle age.

I just love watching the sun come up in the morning and it makes me wonder why I didn't appreciate it more in my younger days, just took it for granted.  I love seeing the miracle growing in a pregnant woman's belly, usually popped out and proud in a form fitting t-shirt.  In my day, we pretended it didn't exist by wearing ugly big maternity clothes...so stupid!  I love the earthy smell after the rain.  I revel in the excess energy of a young child who just can't sit still.  I truly love the sweet innocence in their faces before the outside world hardens them.

I love the natural beauty of flowers and have even grown to appreciate the natural beauty of weeds.  I'm amazed by the beautiful art created by other people and sometimes by little old me.  I admire people who create outside the box, making beauty out of nothing.

I got up quite early this morning when it was still dark and walked into my livingroom, lit only by the moonlight.  It was so pretty.  It's true that happiness and contentment can be found everywhere.  You just have to look.



No comments: