Saturday, September 22, 2018

Angry Trump Supporters

It's really amazed me how, on Facebook, I'm constantly seeing postings by Trump supporters that are almost rabid in their hatred of Democrats...or anyone who doesn't like Trump.  Where and why is there so much venomous hatred just because someone doesn't like the president that you do???  To make things worse, most of the hatred comes from very religious Republicans.  It's difficult to make sense of this.

Is it possible that those Republicans would hate their neighbors if those neighbors happened to be Democrats?  Is it possible those religious Republicans have forgotten about "love your neighbor"?  How do they go to church and supposedly follow the ten commandments and then live their lives filled with hatred for anyone who isn't a Republican??

I've never seen the equivalent of this fanaticism in Canadian politics.  There's a bit of bad rivalry during an election (election posters destroyed or stolen) but that is nothing compared to what I'm seeing in the States.  I don't know if it's always been this way but it's absolutely terrible now.

One of my American "friends" accused me of hating everything on that side of the border.  How the hell did she ever come up with that just because I don't like Trump?  It's as though they feel under attack unless everyone has the same beliefs as they do.  There seems to be no room for variety in their very narrow world.

I can't paint all Republicans with the same brush, though, because many also dislike Trump and aren't afraid to express it.  I think that's the danger of being a registered member of any party.  We should never vote blindly for a particular party but for the man/woman who will do the best job.

The way I see it, if someone doesn't like me because I'm not of their religion, nationality, skin color, or political persuasion, it's their loss. 


No comments: