Friday, September 28, 2018

Females Know!

I'd be willing to bet that every single female in this world has experienced the unwanted, unsolicited, sexual advances of a male who feels he has the right to do as he pleases.  Age is no barrier...from little girls to old women, and the abuse can come from all ages, too.  Dirty old men continue to be a threat until they die.

My first memory of sexual abuse was when I was 4 years old and my abuser was my 22 year old step father who had me touch him.  But all through my life there were moments of being grabbed or chased by many, many different males.  I was subjected to flashers, feelers and voyeurs but I was never raped, thank heavens.  Regardless, all of those moments of feeling unsafe left me with a lifelong distrust.  I don't trust easily and it takes a while for me to determine if a male is safe to be around.  My last memory of sexual abuse was just a few years ago when a long time friend shoved his hand down the back of my blouse.  

Sexual abuse has little to do with sex.  It has more to do with someone believing they have the right to overpower a weaker person and use them.  Females can be abusers also...but I've never met one, just heard about them on the news.  It's only in recent times that we've come to know how many young boys have been victimized, some by their priests or family members.  

My first incident of abuse happened 74 years ago and I will never forget it.  I was just a baby and didn't understand what was happening but I sensed something was wrong...probably my ESP kicked in.  I've been frightened all of my adult life that someone would hurt my daughters and then my grandchildren and greatgrandchildren.  Predators don't change their ways and new ones emerge from the shadows every day.  I don't think we'll ever be 100% safe from people who believe they have the right to harm and even destroy another human being.  And those of us who have been victims will never, ever forget, no matter how many years pass.

I consider myself a victim who rose above the abuse to know the incidents were not in any way caused by me.  Yes, I rose above the abuse but it did leave a mark on my psyche.  No sexual assault victim walks away unscathed.  


No comments: