Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Crock Pot Chili



Crock pot chili is so easy to make and it really is full of iron...kidney beans and ground beef.  I used to make it with ground chicken but now I'm forced to eat more beef to raise my iron levels.  And it even tastes better reheated which is good for me because I'll freeze most of it in dinner sized portions.

I've made this recipe for most of my adult life and even though I use a lot of canned veggies in it, it's still nutritious (I hope).  I usually use one small can of tomato paste along with a larger can of diced tomatoes but I had none so I substituted a can of tomato soup.  There are also 2 cans of dark red kidney beans, a can of mushroom pieces, and a package of chili seasoning.  

I started with 1 lb. of lean ground beef and 1 large onion.  I let these simmer for a while in the slow cooker to brown the ground beef before tossing in all the other ingredients.  I don't like to cook but this is a simple and quick way to supply myself with 6+ meals.  Now I can just let it all simmer away for a few hours and then have a nice hearty lunch.

I saw my family doctor yesterday and, besides the low iron level, all my other innards seem to be working well.  I honestly will make more effort in eating better now that I know I absolutely have to do so.  

No comments: