Thursday, September 26, 2019

Losing Another

The very worst part of getting old is that you lose the people you grew up with, the people who know you best.  Faye called last night to say that Wayne is getting worse and won't make it much longer.  I don't hurt as much this time because he's been living with the effects of a terrible stroke for a long time and that quality of life isn't worth living.

I didn't get to see Wayne since the stroke and I'm a little glad I didn't because my memories of him will always be of the wild and woolly young man he was back in the day.  Women loved him and he took full advantage of it.  We all have stories of Wayne's antics that would shock a lot of people...but his true nature was one of kindness, gentleness, and common decency.  He was like a brother to me from the beginning (1955 to be exact) when we both attended teen dances.  He's the one who told me his brother, Dennis, got drunk all the time and beat up his girlfriends...none of this was true and I ended up marrying Dennis.

Wayne was so much fun.  He loved to dance, party, and sing.  He loved his family with a passion and my biggest disappointment was when he and Mary divorced.  Mary is still one of my best friends and always will be.

Unlike Donna's passing in July, I'm glad to see Wayne finally leave our world for the next.  The effects of the stroke completely incapacitated him and none of us want to live like that, especially Wayne who lived life to the fullest.

I'm expecting he won't make it through the day but, if he does, I hope he leaves soon...for his sake. 

Update: As of today, October 3, Wayne seems to be hanging in there.  There has to be a reason he's survived this long and I hope it's a worthwhile one because it must be miserable for him.  The life force within us is terribly strong, though, and it could be just that he's not ready to leave yet.

No comments: