Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Why We're Confused

We have been consistently conditioned over the years to stop thinking that the LGBT's are abnormal and to stop discriminating against them.  This has mostly been for the good and something I believe in completely even if I don't understand a lot of it.  It definitely is wrong to treat a person cruelly just because their sexual identity differs from your own.

What completely confuses me is something that I was reminded of the other day when watching "Say Yes To The Dress" on T.V.  The bride, who was absolutely gorgeous, described herself as trans female.  As gorgeous as she was, I could see that there was something a little amiss but, as usual, wondered why it had been necessary for her to point out that she was born male.  

The show continued with her trying on many wedding gowns and looking fabulous in each and every one.  Her entourage was also a little off to me and I wondered if I'd ever be able to accept those differences as normal.  It doesn't matter as long as I treat them with the respect they deserve.

Near the end of the show, the bride mentioned that her groom was a trans male and that's when my jaw dropped and I realized there just isn't enough time left in my existence to understand all of this.  A person who was born a male but transitioned to a female was marrying a person who was born a female but who transitioned to a male.  None of this made sense to me and it probably never will.  It certainly is a strange world we have made for ourselves, isn't it? 

No comments: