Thursday, March 12, 2020

My Perspective of the Coronavirus

Yes, it's probably the worst health threat to humans in a few lifetimes and it does have to be taken seriously.  No doubt, many more lives will be lost due to the illness all over the world but, thankfully I guess, it will mainly be the elderly with current health problems.  I'm elderly so I don't take this lightly but I truly am thankful that this very serious health threat won't decimate the young and middle aged who will have stronger immune systems.

A lot of people are in a state of panic, buying up supplies (weird that toilet paper seems to be at the top of the list for some).  If I was at home, I'd probably stock up a bit on canned goods but I don't plan to change my way of life at the moment.

Schools are being closed, sporting events cancelled, large gatherings cancelled or discouraged.  President Trump has done something I do approve of and that's to stop European visitors coming into the States for a while.  Europe, especially Italy, has been hard hit by this virus and it makes sense to limit exposure to Americans.  I don't know if Canada has taken the same steps.

People have to realize that the coronavirus is a serious threat but not the end of the world.  If steps have to be taken to contain it by isolating the hardest hit countries and infected people, then this should be done.  The economy is going to go haywire but it will come back.  Unfortunately it might not happen soon enough to save some businesses and jobs but the most important thing is to save lives.

Cindy called me today wondering how I'm reacting to it all.  I reassured her that I'm taking sensible precautions but I'm not allowing it to control my life.  Until the coronavirus becomes an epidemic, I'll carry on pretty much as I always have.  I'm realistically assuming that it will be a scary part of history within a few months...I hope!

No comments: