Monday, March 16, 2020

New Perspective

It's becoming a little disconcerting to see the numbers of coronavirus cases doubling every few days...almost 4000 cases in the U.S. as of today but just think how many there will be 9 days from now when, and if, Cindy gets here.  My growing fear is that I'll be stuck in the States but at least I'll be with Shelley in Tampa if that happens.

Then another worry is doing that 2 day drive to Canada if and when a true panic sets in among the citizens.  One more worry, of course, is if Canada will completely close it's border.  Once across, though, both Cindy and I will face a self imposed 14 day quarantine spent in our homes.  I don't mind that at all and just crave to be back in my own country.

I talked to Sylvia yesterday and she said there aren't any certain cases of coronavirus in Nova Scotia, just 3 suspected.  The numbers still seem so small but then there's Italy that has completely closed down the country, businesses as well as travel.  I never thought I'd see anything like this in my lifetime.

I guess I'm more worried about the economy than the end of the world because I do believe the rate of new cases will drop off soon and just be a horrible part of history.  On the other hand, the economy will take many years to recover from this.  A lot of people have already been let go from their jobs and businesses simply can't afford to stay closed for long.
  
Kim was sick on Friday which scared the life out of me but it was just a 24 hour bug...normal and not life threatening.  It did spur me to pack my car about 90% just in case I want to leave in a hurry.  Val picked Faye and Marilee up to take them to Shelley's beach house for a few days but I didn't want to go.  When I leave here it will be to go to Tampa and, once I'm with Shelley, I'll feel more comfortable even being in the States.

I stayed home yesterday...didn't go to the flea market as planned...and had a nice visit from Dee and Monica.  Dee got a new golf cart so she came over and picked up the few things I'm giving to her before I leave.  Today I'll drive up to Publix to get some bread and sandwich meat but that's all I need.  The store was well stocked on Saturday morning when I was there (except for toilet paper) so it will be interesting to see if there has been any change.

These are sure strange times. 

No comments: