Saturday, August 08, 2020

Getting My Car Fixed

I scraped the side of my car pulling into my parking spot and it needs a proper repair job because the scrape is so deep.  It doesn't help that I've been burned by repair shops before being a woman who knows nothing of the work or the fair cost of a repair and my kids haven't been able to provide me with a decent shop they've used.  So I went to a local shop to take my chances and was given a price of $1100.  That was twice what I'd hoped but I do understand that I really do know nothing of what it should cost.

Cindy has a friend with a shop that does oil changes and repairs tires but he doesn't do collision repair.  He'd done really well by me when I had a brake job so I took a chance and called him to see if he knew of a trustworthy collision repair shop.  He immediately offered help and said to bring my car to him on Tuesday and he'll have someone come in and give me an estimate.  I'm hoping for anything less that $1100 because I have to get the car repaired before winter and rust sets in.  I'm hoping this will be the last car I have to buy...a 2012 Nissan Altima that has been a pretty much perfect car and still seems to be except for the damage I did to it.

I'm mad at myself for creating a huge expense but more angry that I hurt my car.  I really get attached to my car, especially if it's serving me well.  A car, for me, represents freedom of movement and I didn't own a car until 1984 so I still appreciate that freedom greatly and don't take it for granted.  I don't see any need to upgrade to a newer model, either.

Now, fingers crossed that my sweet little car gets a nice repair at a fair price.


No comments: