Monday, August 10, 2020

Needing Help

I will put off or suffer through anything rather than ask for help but I know there will always be things I do need help with.  Fortunately, I have great family that will always come to my rescue but that's not the case for a lot of seniors.  We become weaker with age and don't always have a car available to us.  I see this every time I go out...elderly ladies with their grocery carts walking with difficulty up the street to what I assume is the grocery store many blocks away.  Some might just be very independent but I'll bet most just do the best they can without available help from anyone.

I've been trying to get rid of a cute bamboo table that I'd used for the T.V....I'd bought a larger T.V. that didn't fit on the old table.  I offered it to my family but no-one wanted it.  I offered it to the Salvation Army but they're not taking in any furniture at this time.  I finally was able to have Decor On A Dime take it in on consignment but I had to depend on my family to take it there.  Matt was my first go-to but the store is only open on shorter hours now so I had to ask my son-in-law, Don, who immediately said he'd do it.  I am very lucky with my family and try not to burden them any more than I have to but it's really comforting to know I can always count on them.

I often think how different it would be if I'd never had children.  Many seniors end up depending on their children for various things.  Seniors have gradually lost their friends to illness or death, plus their existing friends are also too feeble to be of much help to them.  Many women of my generation are on very low incomes and can't afford to hire help, either.  You don't think of these things when you're young but they do become a sad fact when you're old.

I know how lucky I am and never take my family for granted.  As much as I hate asking for their help, I know it's there if I need it.   

No comments: