Monday, October 30, 2006

I Have Arrived

I drove through a lot of rain on Friday but still managed to reach my more than half way destination around 6 P.M. Staying in a motel room alone will never be easy but, since it's a necessity,it gets done. Unfortunately, someone was having a party in the room above mine and kept me awake most of the night...one of the hazards of spending the night in a motel! After 2 hours sleep I hit the road Saturday morning around 6:00 A.M. and drove till 3 P.M. under sunny skies.

Arriving at my beloved park I drove through the gate and saw that the ponds are very low (not evough rain this summer) and then on past the pool and to my trailer. The yard was a disaster but cleans up fairly fast because weeds growing in sand are easy to pull out. I went inside to a lovely clean trailer (my daughters had hired "Merry Maids" to clean it for me) and began to feel at home almost instantly. Before long neighbors and old friends began to appear at the door to welcome me back and give me hugs. I'm so lucky to have settled in this park and come to know these very special people.

Sunday I did laundry and washed cupboards (Merry Maids wanted $100 extra to do that...they charge way too much anyway). One of my friends came over in the afternoon to invite me to dinner. There were 8 of us and it was as pleasant as always. After dinner we went to the clubhouse where we had our usual Sunday evening ice-cream...another tradition here.

This morning I tackled the weeds and discovered that all this bending over hurts my back more than it did last year. Could I be getting older??? Another friend stopped by and promised to find me someone to do the initial gardening next year. By noon I wasn't moving too well so I thought it best to go to the pool where I spent a few hours in interesting conversation with a few more friends. At home I have a very few close friends but here in the senior park they seem to abound. We all live so close to each other and have nothing much to do that doesn't involve fun...and the people who get along best are the ones you have the most in common with.

Tonight I'm staying home and watching "Deal or No Deal" and my friend, Sylvia, is coming over to watch it with me. She and her husband first came to our park last fall and we hit it off right away. I feel as though I've known them all my life. I think that senior parks give us many choices of people who might become friends and this park has provided me with a plethora. Life is good!

No comments: