Thursday, February 01, 2007

Clean Your Plate

When I was a child my grandmother would insist that I eat every last scrap on my dinner plate because "There are children starving in Africa!". Thus began a lifetime of me eating everything put before me because somewhere in the world there were people starving.

In all ignorance, I used the same tactics with my own children. I'm sure they remember having to sit at the table for hours in front of plates of cold liver. I'm ashamed to say I'd often hear them gag.

We are so strongly conditioned by childhood rules that it's difficult to break free of them, even in adulthood. Today I relish the moments I can actually walk away from food left on my dinner plate...bearing only a small twinge to my conscience.

It seems to take me a long time to learn but I managed to treat my grandchildren differently. They needed only to finish their vegetables if they wanted dessert. If they refused, they could leave the table anyway and get on with their lives. It's a far cry from the torture I put my children through and I'm certain they resent me for all those times I forced them to eat cold liver. I resent me, too.

5 comments:

Shelley said...

No resentment here Momma! Just consider it as a gift to your grandchildren who have never been cooked liver in their lives!!! LOL Well, I did trick Nicole into eating a small piece once at a buffet - she resents that! :-)

I do think about your yummy chicken liver dish occasionally!

Love ya!

Kim said...

No resentment here. I think Shelley got payback when she stuffed the peas in your vinyl chairs! LOL!
Or, Cindy, when she threw up her Cod Liver Oil (ug!) on Dad's Fire Department Uniform! LOL!
Mmmm, I must have been perfect.
No, no resentment.

patsyrose said...

My regular chicken liver dish was one of the best things I cooked.

I think you're referring to the time I made Spanish chicken livers in the slow cooker. Big mistake!!

Hard to believe my girls all became gourmet cooks when they had me for an example.

Shelley said...

Yes, I did mean the TRULY yummy chicken livers - I must have blocked the memory of the slow-cooker kind!!! :-)

patsyrose said...

Here's the recipe for TRULY yummy chicken livers...1 lb. of chicken livers and 1 onion (fry until browned), add 1 can of mushroom soup, heat and pour over mashed potatoes.

Still sounds good to me!!