Sunday, February 04, 2007

Memorial Service

A memorial service was held here in the park this afternoon for residents who passed away in the last year. When my husband and I bought our trailer in 2000, we'd hear of people who had passed away over the summer but not recognize their names. Today there was a list of about 12 people and I knew most of them. It's always sad to come back to Florida in the fall and discover that a few of our friends had died over the summer.

I was at the service today because a dear friend of mine passed away last July and I wanted to show my respect. Lucy was a very special human being and I know I'll never meet another like her. She had a heart so big and a kindness so overwhelming that she shone. She was a shopaholic (bargains only) and had the nicest darned wardrobe that put us all to shame. Lucy, earth angel that she was, also liked a little drink and a cigarette to go with it. We had a lot of laughs over the past 7 years and I'll never forget her.

I looked around the room today and saw so many people who have become my friends since we came to this park. We're all aging and it saddens me to wonder which one of us won't be back next year. But, we're here today and enjoying life and I guess that's all we can ask for.



2 comments:

Kim said...

Lu was a very special person, one of those people who you feel comfortable with right away. We only were with her and Sheila a few times but they were always fun.

patsyrose said...

At her funeral, I couldn't help thinking how frustrated she must be not to be able to run around helping with everything that needed doing. She was a born "care giver" and never a "taker".