Friday, February 09, 2007

Senility

My sister-in-law, Faye, and I were discussing some of the crummy things we'd had to deal with during our long lives. We might not remember what we're supposed to be doing at the moment but old hurts are never forgotten. Unless you become senile. Maybe senility is nature's way of taking away bad memories. Now, if nature was perfect, it would leave us the good memories.

We oldsters don't take senility lightly because it seems to linger in the far distance (we hope), just waiting to spring on us. We've been at the age for a while when we finish each other's sentence or thought because the speaker got stuck. We all laugh when this happens but there's always a niggling worry...have we finally met up with "senility"?

Old people, really old people, are so darned interesting when they've maintained their mental faculties. There's no-one I'd rather have a conversation with because we can learn so much from them.

I've warned my daughters that I never want to live with them when I'm unable to take care of myself. Just put me in a nice nursing home and visit me regularly. If I become senile and ask to live with them, please remember how I felt when I still had my wits. Funny, but none of them put up an argument!!

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Your welcome to come live in my turret any time Momma! :-)
Love and Kisses!

Shelley said...

You are or You're - don't you hate misspellings (I double checked how to spell misspellings!) when you can't go back and correct them???? :-) Or smiley faces that get disconnected??? LOL

patsyrose said...

Remember what I said when I was in my right mind...and don't ask when that was!!!