Saturday, March 03, 2007

Still in a Snit

I must still be in a bit of a snit about my bad day because I wrote Walmart a really nasty e-mail complaining about everything that's bugged me for the past year.

There is a very large population of Spanish speaking people in Florida and I love the look and the sound of them...but not on the loudspeaker announcements at Walmart. Last year I started to notice that most of the Walmart announcements were made in Spanish and not English. It could be that we English speaking people are in the minority here now but Florida is still an English speaking state...for the time being. I want my damn announcements spoken in English as well as Spanish.

I'm also finding more and more sales staff at Walmart who can barely speak English. Why are they on the floor working with the public? When I need help I need someone who understands English to help me. I tried buying fabric there last year and the clerk couldn't speak two words of English and had to page someone else to answer my questions.

My sister-in-law told me that she was in Walmart the other day and, when she was at the checkout, the cashier totally ignored her while she was ringing in her purchases and carried on a loud conversation in Spanish with another cashier. Who is training these people? And who is supervising them?

When I was in Walmart yesterday I asked a cashier (English speaking) why the announcements were in Spanish only and her rather nervous reply was that the store manager was Spanish. Am I wrong here or is Walmart in Florida saying they don't need my business? Lord knows, I keep going back but it's really starting to make me mad.

My daughter married into a Cuban family and I love them dearly. I adore their culture and enjoy myself thoroughly when I'm with them. Visiting Miami is like visiting another country where the beautiful Spanish language is spoken and heard everywhere. I like to shop so I do it there, too, and the salesclerks all speak English. If they can do it in Miami then why can't they do it in Kissimmee?

Okay, snit over!

2 comments:

Kim said...

What the heck put you in a snit. I'm not sure I have seen anything or anyone affect you so drastically since my Poppa! :)

patsyrose said...

Don't worry, darlin'. What I call a snit these days is just a tiny blip in my world. Unfortunately, Walmart had to take the brunt of it. I'm a happy lady again and was shopping there today. Everyone behaved themselves!