Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Importance of Color

Isn't it interesting how important color is in our lives? Of course, people in the arts live for color but I'm talking about the average, everyday person.

We decorate our homes and ourselves with an eye for which color will best suit the purpose. There are always trends to follow but we usually have a few favorite colors that we won't give up no matter what the current fashion happens to be.

My favorite color has been turquoise for as long as I can remember. When I first viewed the ocean in the caribbean I was overcome with emotion because the water was the most perfect shade of turquoise I had ever seen.

People love to visit gardens because being surrounded by the beautiful colors in nature soothes our souls. I've been told that even the desert is a showcase of color but I've never seen it. Maybe one day.

Advertisers know how susceptible we are to color and use that advantage when creating their advertisements. The color red will draw our eye every time.

Psychologists have told us that lack of sunlight during the winter months will dull our spirits and worsen depression. Being immersed in grey skies for too long makes me totally miserable. Once the sun comes out and highlights whatever colors are still visible in January, I come alive.

I love to dress in vibrant colors but I'm overweight so I have to be careful. Dress up for me is basic black with a splash of red or hot pink to make me forget the black. Casual dress is almost always a lovely bright color with a long shirt to cover my butt. If I had to wear black every day I'd stay in my pyjamas.

I spend the winter in Florida which is heavily populated with Mexicans and Cubans who like to paint their houses strong, exotic colors. At first, these colors assault the eye but soon you realize that those are the colors that make them happy...then you relax and allow yourself to enjoy their freedom of expression. I love the cultural differences we have and hope they never assimilate themselves into the general population so much that they resort to painting their houses white.

Now, let's think, what color should I wear today? It won't be black!












No comments: