Tuesday, April 24, 2007

We've Got It Good

I spoke to a friend today about some plans we have for the summer. We discussed how full our lives are now that we're "ladies of a certain age" and wondered how we ever accomplished much when our children were young. I know how...we lived for our kids instead of ourselves then. Now our kids are grown and we can concentrate on living our own lives to the fullest.

My friend and I decided we have it pretty good and are living an "old" age that our own parents could never have hoped for. We're enlightened, so to speak, and won't accept sliding into our sunset years by vegetating in front of the T.V. We've developed the attitude that life is meant to be enjoyed.

I'm always hoping that I'm a setting a good example for my grandchildren about how getting old doesn't mean your life is over. We can't even scrape the surface of all there is to know and learn about our world, even if we lived to be a thousand. When we get older we have the time to examine life more closely so we see things we missed in our busy years.

One of the plans for this summer is a drive to New Brunswick for a family reunion. My 17 year old granddaughter is going with me and I'm ecstatic over the opportunity to spend that time with her. The New Brunswick part of the family is on my husband's side (so, therefore, my granddaughter's) and she'll have a wonderful time meeting and mingling with her blood relatives. I'm going to have a wonderful time meeting and mingling, too, just because I enjoy their company.

These days I avoid being anywhere that isn't pleasant and fun. I've learned the secret of walking away from unpleasantness because there's too much good stuff in every direction. I have the right "attitude".















2 comments:

Kim said...

You absolutely have the right attitude. I am very proud of you and admire your spirit.

bluebird of paradise said...

oh ia m so excited you are coming to the reunion. hooray. we will have such a wonderful time.