Wednesday, May 30, 2007

New Baby in the Family

We have a large, loving, and very involved family so it's no wonder that we're all excited about a new baby joining our clan. This little boy or girl (no-one knows or no-one's telling) will make it's arrival some time in October.

My niece sent me pictures of the latest ultrasound and baby is already 12" long so he/she is going to be a tall one. The parents are both tall and gorgeous so we're expecting a pretty fantastic baby.

One of the most wonderful things about a new baby is the softness of their skin. I love to let the little one nestle into my neck because the feel of that brand new baby skin is intoxicating.

Bringing a new baby into the family can solidify that family. We have showers to welcome him/her and all the family congregates in a show of love and support. It's a nice feeling to look around you and see so many people you are connected to by blood or marriage, all there for the purpose of bonding to the new member.

It's usually the women in the family who establish and carry out these early rituals, most of the men being content to wait until the child is old enough to carry on a conversation. But men of today are becoming less intimidated by a newborn and more willing to become involved from the beginning.

I remember when my children and my grandchildren were newborns and how I could sit for hours and just stare at their little faces. The sheer miracle of their presence absolutely fascinated me.

I'm looking forward to nuzzling and staring sometime in October.

No comments: