Saturday, June 09, 2007

My Beautiful Boy is 23

My daughter, Kim, wrote of how her first born son became a teenager just 10 short years ago. I don't remember that. My strongest memories of my beautiful boy all seem to be when he was very small. I adored him from before he was even born and enjoyed his childhood with a pleasure I can't even begin to put into words.

He was a perfect baby, a perfect child, a perfect teenager, and now a perfect young, married man. Some might think I'm a bit prejudiced but I'm not.

Nick was 11 lbs. 1 1/2 oz. when he was born. Kim had taken fertility drugs a year or so before she became pregnant and I believe that had something to do with her giving birth to this humungous baby. He was gorgeous.

We doted on this lovely child, practically worshipping him, but he wasn't spoiled. He just never realized he was a child...just thought he was a small adult.

His first word...after Momma, Daddy, and Mamomma (his special made up name for me) was "a..hole". He picked that up from hearing his father curse out a driver that had just cut him off on the highway. From then on he learned to speak clearly and quickly. We managed to make him forget that first word.

At the age of 3 he'd get up in the morning, put on a dress shirt and dress pants complete with clip-on tie and carry his mother's backgammon case around, pretending it was a briefcase. So cute.

I saw him on his 23rd birthday, a grown man with a lovely wife. But in my heart he'll always be that beautiful little boy calling me "Mamomma".

No comments: