Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Irish Have Arrived

My niece's (by marriage) Irish relatives flew thousands of miles across the ocean to attend the wedding of one of their own. I got to meet them last night and they were a treat.

The lilt of Irish brogue pleasured my ears and brought back memories of my childhood when my own home was often filled with Irishmen who had immigrated to Canada.

Molly, at 78, is the matriarch of the family and it was so easy to see why she's included in all occasions. She's tiny, witty, and quite pysically active since she walks all of the time at home. There's something to be said about the benefits of walking.

I learned that in Ireland the seniors can use the bus for free and don't pay any rent. All of their health services, including prescriptions, are also free. We in Canada should have it so good!

My niece (not the one getting married) is 5 months pregnant and looking beautiful in her maternal state and her husband was the life of the party while still watching her solicitously to make sure she wasn't tiring.

There was much laughter and singing during the evening that could never have disturbed the neighbors because it bespoke the beauty of life and family. It was one of those glorious warm summer evenings that you hated to see end.

The Irish are renting a large van to take them sightseeing for the next 2 weeks and will visit Niagara Falls and Toronto Island for sure. I hope they all (especially the first time visitors) get to see at least part of how beautiful the great country of Canada is and take back good memories of us.

I'm going to miss hearing the lovely Irish brogue when they leave for home but maybe one day I'll get my chance to visit Ireland and hear as much of it as I want.

No comments: