Saturday, July 07, 2007

Workroom Discoveries

I had dinner with two of my sisters-in-law and their husbands last night and we came back to my house after dinner. I showed off my newly renovated basement and then showed them my husband's workroom which I'm just starting to clean out.

There are a few things holding me back in the workroom cleaning. One is that it's a monumental job and another is that I don't know anything about tools. My brother-in-law, Larry helped me out more in 20 minutes than anyone has done in two years. He very quickly told me what was junk, what was usable, and what I can give away.

I still can't imagine going through all that stuff completely in the next year but at least I've got a start. I've already towed tons to the dump and deposited tons in the driveway that was cleared away by my good neighbor. That was the stuff I could easily see was garbage. It all makes me wonder how the children of deceased parents handle such a clean-up when it has to be done quickly.

I've made my mind up that I'm going to declutter my house from top to bottom so my children won't have too hard a job if something were to happen to me. I also plan to sell the house and move into an apartment in a few years so decluttering now makes sense.

We really accumulate too much stuff and it doesn't help to stay put in the same house for 40 years!

No comments: