Friday, January 04, 2008

Hating the Military?

My daughter said that she heard from a reliable source that Hillary Clinton "hates the military". That doesn't ring true for me because there's no logic there. If it wasn't for the military Hillary Clinton wouldn't be living in a free country where the citizens have a free vote.

My daughter's husband is in the military and, of course, they're very sensitive to any criticism of it. This made for tense conversations at times because my husband and I had strong views about the right or wrong of U.S. involvement in other countries. We thought the U.S. shouldn't be sending troups to every country that suffered internal problems. I once explained to my daughter that we supported the troups but not their mission. She was adamant that you can't separate the two but I disagree.

Soldiers rely on their leaders to direct missions and send them into danger only if necessary. These young men love their country and know that there's a possibility they will lose their lives defending it. What's hard to swallow is that the military elite could put soldiers at risk in order to preserve U.S. monetary interests. Is it worth the life of one single soldier to hold down the price of gasoline?

My husband could argue this point with great knowledge. I'm not nearly as politically savvy but tend to form my opinions based on logic. I really don't believe that Hillary Clinton "hates" the military because that doesn't make sense. I'll bet she just wants to shake up the old men who rule with an iron fist and make a few much needed changes. The only problem is that I'm not convinced she's up to the challenge.

3 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

i'm with you on this . and you were much smarter than your husband. he just was more forceful in his debate....

Shelley said...

As my husband gets close to the rank of "elite" - you know how much he loves his "men" and he's not alone. There are great leaders in the military community - great thinkers too. Remember that the military, including the "elite", is controlled by the publicly elected government...not the other way around. The military doesn't get to decide where they go and they do have to follow the orders they're given and that includes the colonels and the generals. Your comments hardly sounded supportive for someone who "supports the military" huh? :-)

I'm guessing Hillary finds the military a necessary evil...not the kind of Commander in Chief I want my husband working for and not the CIC I want to live my life under direct influence of.

patsyrose said...

I guess we'll always see things differently. I have the utmost admiration and respect for the soldiers but maybe I'm not able to get this across to you in words.

By the "elite" I mean the top few. They aren't the one's whose lives are on the line.