Thursday, May 01, 2008

The First of May

Today is the first of May and this day always brings to mind a wonderful lady I worked with many years ago.

Joan was one of the nicest and funniest people I ever knew. You were assured of having a terrific shift at work if she was working with you. I don't remember ever seeing her in a serious or bad mood so she lifted the spirits of everyone around her.

Joan loved May 1st and enjoyed coming up behind me when I was on the phone with a customer and whispering in my ear, "Hurray, hurray, the first of May. Outdoor screwing starts today". Then she'd stand back and grin as I tried to keep from laughing in the customer's ear.

Joan, like a lot of the people in my life, has passed away but she left such good memories. And also the guarantee that May 1st will always bring a smile to my face and a giggle in my soul.

No comments: