Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pastimes

I can't imagine a time in my life when I'll never have an interesting (to me) pastime. As I age it seems my interests only broaden and it isn't just to fill my day because the days aren't long enough for me to accomplish all I set out to do. What I have found is that I do have the freedom to follow my interests to the detriment of getting my housework done.

Lately I've wended my way into jewellery making. Right now it's only a matter of putting pendants and chains together but the idea of actually creating a necklace from my own imagination is very appealing. That will come later, I'm sure.

I asked a friend what she'd been doing over the summer and she shrugged and said, "Not much". When I look back on my own summer I wonder how I could have accomplished so darned much. Not all of it was of my choosing, such as ousting squirrels from the attic, but it still was a very busy and productive summer.

When I was a young girl just back to school in September, we had to write an essay on how we'd spent our summer. Mine had always been simply a carefree time of running the roads with my friends. These days I could write a book about my experiences.

A couple of years ago I went to a yard sale and, during a conversation with the home owner, discovered she was a widow who felt her life was over. She was terribly depressed and thought the future held no place for her. I tried to encourage her to attend the local senior center as a start to get her back out in the world but she wasn't interested. I left thinking about all the things I had going on in my life and all the things I still wanted to do. And I thought how the only person in this world who was going to improve that lady's life was herself. Sometimes you have to choose to be happy.

My senior's park in Florida is a perfect example of what I mean. You can bet that the people there have gone through illnesses and tragedies over the years but they've persevered and succeeded in making good lives for themselves. For the most part they are very sociable people and the sound of laughter and conversation fills that park from dawn to dusk. Many are widows or widowers but they chose not to isolate themselves. I believe that isolation is the killer.

Personally, it's always been difficult for me to try to fit in with strangers but the more often I'm accepted the easier it becomes. It will never be second nature to me but I've learned the knack of entering slowly and gently.

My alone time is also very welcome. The pattern of my day varies quite a bit and I don't spend too much time doing any one thing. Today will include computer, T.V., laundry, as little housework as possible, sewing, meeting my sister for coffee, and making plans for an upcoming craft show to sell my jewellery. Who knows what else will come along?





No comments: