Tuesday, September 23, 2008

*Wendy's*, How Could You?

Wendy's is my fast food restaurant of choice and, since I've gotten on this kick about my food being handled with bare hands, I pay close attention to all food handlers. Today I watched a Wendy's employee build a cheeseburger from scratch with her bare hands...even putting the meat in with those same bare hands. Of course I questioned the young girl who was taking my order and she said that sandwich handlers were allowed to do that. This is in direct opposition to the answer I got from a Wendy's employee just a short while back. He said all food handlers had to wear gloves.

The lady I saw making the burger then went over to the fries and began filling a bunch of cups with them. At this point I realized she was working at the drive-through window. This meant she was handling money and handling all kinds of food with her bare hands. I questioned the order taker again about this and she no longer wanted to discuss it so I asked another employee for a comment card. He trotted right over to the "bare handed" lady and asked her where they were (was she the manager???) and she said they had none.

I gave up because I knew I could reach the head office by the number printed on the back of my receipt. When I called that number I spoke to a very nice lady in customer service who took all the information and said they take complaints like this very seriously. I can only hope they do.

I honestly believe that we can make a difference for the better if we speak out. All my life I've seen how the timid are taken advantage of and I guess I'm no longer timid. I do know that nothing will change if we meekly accept the status quo.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Go, Gramma, Go!!!!