Friday, December 26, 2008

My Xmas Day


I thought I was well enough to attend our Christmas dinner but I was wrong. Even though I rested all morning I was still listless by noon. I wasn't coughing and that was my prime requisite for allowing myself to go over to the crowded clubhouse, though.

Shelley phoned from Bolivia and we had a lovely talk (even John and the kids). I feel so close to that little family even though we don't see each other terribly often. Genuine love surpasses all obstacles. They've decided that they'll return to the States to celebrate next Xmas, though, and I'm thankful for that.

Sheila and Sylvia had set the tables with our table cloths and name tags around 9 P.M. Xmas eve so at least we knew where we'd be sitting...there were 13 in our group. Sheila came to my trailer around 10:30 A.M. on Xmas day and insisted I go over to the clubhouse with her and put our place settings out. First I needed a shower so she just had to wait for me. I'm always showered and dressed by at least 8 A.M. in the morning but illness makes us sloppy.

There were a lot of people at the clubhouse already when we got over there and everyone expects kisses and hugs on Xmas but I had to tell them, "No, I'm germy but I epect double kisses and hugs for New Year's eve".

Dinner, as usual, was excellent. Everyone took something (I made broccoli salad) and the park management supplied ham and turkey. My head was awfully stuffy and I felt pretty bad so it was no surprise when I could barely eat any dinner. I was also signed up to help with cleanup but had to bow out, go home and have a 4 hour nap. I did get to catch more of my family (2 daughters, 1 grandson, 1 sister, and 1 brother-in-law) by calling Kim's house where their last Xmas meal was being held. Apparently, they'd all done nothing but celebrate with Xmas meals a couple of times a day for 2 whole days! I miss them more than I can say but it does my heart good to know they like being together.

I stayed home in the evening, snoozed, watched drivel on T.V. and then went to bed early, still feeling awful. I woke up coughing in the morning but drugs settled that down so that I was able to function close to normal. Sylvia and I went out shopping for a few hours and found the malls half empty...not a good sign for the economy. The picture shown is my first purchase for my future greatgrandson who will arrive in July. We don't know the sex of the baby yet but I couldn't resist this cute little outfit with the sailboat (Great Grampa was a sailor). I also bought a pretty little Xmas outfit for a possible girl baby. I bought a 12 month size because the babies in our family are never small. The baby will be 5 months old next Xmas and will almost certainly need 12 month sized clothing.

I still have very little appetite but, in all honesty, could live off my fat for months if necessary. After a pre-dinner (which I couldn't eat) nap, I actually began to feel very good so I decided to water my outdoor flowers because they'd started to wilt in the heat. We have Bingo tonight and I'm sure I'll feel like a little home-made soup when I get home at 9 P.M.

The body has amazing recuperative powers but this cold kind of scared me with it's intensity. Maybe I'm just spoiled by having been cold free for so many years. In any case, I think I've got it beat now. Wish me luck at Bingo!





2 comments:

Kim said...

I hope you feel better real soon.
xoxoxoxoxo

Kim said...

Can't wait to see the clothes! Hope the shopping was fun.