Monday, January 05, 2009

The Neti-Pot

I've had a cold for almost 2 weeks that has travelled back and forth from my chest to my sinuses. Yesterday my sinuses were so congested I could hardly talk. It was time to try out my neti-pot.

The sun was shining and it was lovely and warm outside so I went up to sit at the pool first and enjoy the conversation if not the pool. I felt like my head was a balloon because my sinuses were so full. When I came home I pulled out the neti-pot I'd just purchased on Ebay ($11 including shipping) and read the directions.

The neti-pot is a little blue plastic item that looks like a teapot. You put distilled or previously boiled water into it and add one of the little packets (50 came with it) which contain sodium chloride and sodium bicarbonate. You bend your head to the side over the sink and put the nozzle end into one nostril and the solution goes through your sinuses and out the other nostril. Sounds gross but feels okay.

Just as I was about to begin this procedure, my computer friend, Bob, came to the door to fix my printer. In he came and spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what was keeping my printer from printing. I spent about 15 minutes of that time cleansing my sinuses about 5 feet behind him. Sounds gross but this is life.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the cleansing actually cleared my sinuses very quickly. Not completely, but noticeably so. I thought that if I could see obvious improvement so quickly then the neti-pot was worth using.

Another spot of good news, the printer is now working.

I stayed home from Sunday evening ice-cream and went to bed at 9:30 and woke up this morning to a relatively clear head and chest.

3 comments:

Kim said...

I watched the video about the neti pot when you first told me about it. It is GROSS! If it works though, it's worth it.
I guess you have to be careful to get ALL the liquid out of your sinuses, so be careful.

bluebird of paradise said...

a simpler solution is to buy eucalyptus oil, put a drop in a bowl of boiling water. put a towel over you head and breath deeply. it really clears up your sinus. also you could put a few drops in your hot bath...
I hope you are feeling better soon.how cute is Bob???

patsyrose said...

Married, and I only chum around with the married men who love their wives. He's just one of many people here who are nice enough to help out with whatever is needed.

I'm going to try your eucalyptus oil, by the way.