Thursday, February 05, 2009

First Lesson

This was the day I'd be teaching my first lesson in Swedish weaving but it started out busy, too. I'd barely gotten my stuff together when Sheila came to the door asking if I was going to the Activities Board meeting so off I went with her. It was an interesting meeting where quite a few activities were cancelled due to no takers to head them. The few people who have been conned into heading way too many activities have finally dug in their heels and refused to do it all. Good for them!

At the end of the meeting, one of our disgruntled residents (who had a real gripe but chose the wrong venue to air it) spoke up and the meeting took an ugly turn. I was glad when it was over.

I barely had time to eat lunch when the lady who is helping me teach the class arrived and we took all our gear (sewing machine, etc.) over to the clubhouse. We had no idea how many people would show up for the class but 3 did and there were another 3 who hung around, interested but not ready.

I rediscovered that I'm not the right personality to teach a sort of scattered class. If I'm drawn away from one student to explain something different to another one I become frazzled because I'm forced to quickly change my train of thought. We managed and I'll finish the month's lessons but won't do it next year. I've always taught one or two people right here at the trailer and that's what works best for me.

After the class ended at 3 P.M., a few of the ladies who had been doing the quilting class at another table came over and sat with us to chat. I got home at 4:30, swallowed a quick supper and went back to the clubhouse at 5:45 to work Bingo. I was pretty tired when I got home and went to bed early.

There wasn't much in the way of physical labor today but it was stressful in it's own way. Oh yes, I also had to cover all my plants with old sheets because we're having nightime temperatures way below freezing for a couple of days. It makes life interesting to have so much going on each day and great people to converse with but sometimes I need "alone" time. That will come soon.

3 comments:

Kim said...

They showed an amazing overhead shot of the ocean (maybe the gulf) with more than 50 manitees all clustered together, apparently for warmth. Quite amazing.

patsyrose said...

Just like people! Did you know that I have this romantic notion that I was a manatee in a previous life?

Kim said...

I know. That's how I learned of them.