Thursday, March 26, 2009

Recognizing a Gift

Most of us have such busy, hectic lives that we fail to recognize the gifts we've been allowed in this life. School time is filled to the brim with classes, studying, flirting, and part-time jobs. It's easy to miss the gift of youth you've been given. Adulthood carries it's own burdens with demanding jobs and wondering how you can afford to raise the babies you bring into the world. Again, it's easy to miss the beauty around you when your mind is too full of worry.

Each day on earth is a gift that you can appreciate or ignore. Is it worth making an extra buck at your job if you miss precious moments with your child? Is it worth fretting about a bad hair day when you have a strong and beautiful young body to live inside? Just open your eyes to what is real and important in your allotted years.

As a senior I feel I wasted too many of my younger years worrying about the negative aspects of my life instead of glorying in the positive. I really do greet the morning sun with a smile these days and marvel at the intricate beauty of nature. My life isn't perfect but I've been teaching myself to put aside that which I can do nothing about and to concentrate on making good what I can.

I can say with certainty that taking the time to draw your family and friends closer together is of the utmost importance. Time spent together is a gift beyond gold and one that you will never regret. When you're on your deathbed you won't regret making more money during your lifetime but you will regret missed opportunities to be with your loved ones.

My first gift today was waking up to the rising sun in my little Florida trailer. A few friends are coming over later this morning and that will be my second gift of the day. Come to think of it, my day will be full of gifts. I'm a rich woman.

No comments: