Thursday, April 23, 2009

Alone Time

In Florida my days are filled with company but here in Canada I spend most of my time alone. I enjoy both settings because I feel I have the best of both worlds. My winters are filled with activity involving lots of people while here at home my activity is set at a slower pace.

Right now I could never be happy vegetating in front of the T.V. so I spend my days playing on the computer (I'd be lost without this lifeline to research, e-mails, and selling the odd thing on Ebay), watching a little T.V., gradually getting my house in order (I'm not a housework freak), occasionally meeting with a couple of friends, puttering in the garden (soon), and organizing my new venture (jewellery sales). I keep myself busy but at a pace I set for myself. Being retired and in fairly good health can be a wonderful gift in our golden years because it offers us the unique opportunity to explore old or new interests.

I thoroughly enjoy my alone time. Once in a while someone will mention that I must get lonely because I'm a widow but I have to admit that when I get the slightest bit antsy I simply move on to another interest or project. It's been so long since I've felt the depressing emotion of loneliness that I wonder why I didn't expand my interests earlier in life. That's the secret! Don't limit yourself because the world is huge and there are unlimited areas to explore to find things you enjoy doing.

One doesn't need to be around people constantly to lose that lonely feeling. Back in my era of depression I sometimes felt lonelier in the midst of people than when I was by myself. It's often a mind set we can allow ourselves to fall into. I believe we can choose to make our lives more interesting or we can choose to give up. I found my way out with the aid of counselling and I credit my counsellor with giving me the directions I needed.

Most people don't allow themselves to fall so deeply into depression that they can't rise above it without professional help. There's an expression, "Give yourself a shake", that I think is appropriate for those of us who momentarily give in to slight depressions. It means to clear your head and face reality. Sure, we all have our problems but we also have humungous opportunities to bring happiness and serenity into our lives. Too often it simply means taking a step in the right direction and counting your blessings.

It took me most of my life to learn this lesson but better late than never.

No comments: